IB announces 20 Scholarship recipients to the University of the People M.Ed. program
The International Baccalaureate is proud to announce the 20 educators who have been selected as the 2019 IB University of the People M.Ed. Scholarship recipients. Educators who were selected will receive a full scholarship to complete their Master of Education in Advanced teaching with University of the People.
During the application process, the IB received over 100 applications from 18 African countries. Many applicants emphasized the impact this program will have on increasing quality education their community. Scholarship awardee Boma Nde Mercy Matie from Enko La Gaiete International School in Yaounde, Cameroon stated, “Looking at the IB mission statement, the learner profile and the approaches to teaching and learning, I believe that if students have access to such a holistic and quality education with qualified teachers, Africa will be a better place by 2035. I want to be part of the dream, I want to be one of those to engage in bringing such quality education to my country and continent”.
Many of the scholarship applicants had already begun taking advantage of the M.Ed. program because of its content, affordability and flexibility. Scholarship awardee and current UoPeople student, Evans Kimani from Acorns International School in Kampala, Uganda emphasized the benefits of his experience in the program so far. “I have discovered my passion for curriculum design and education theories as a result of taking the foundation courses at UoPeople and this is a niche I intend to pursue after I complete my M.Ed.”.
IB Director General Dr Siva Kumari said: “We are so delighted that we are able to support teachers from Africa in obtaining a Master of Education in this way. We look forward to their studies having direct impact on many children in Africa.”. The IB will continue to grant scholarships to the UoPeople M.Ed. program in Africa and internationally in January 2020.
The Fall 2019 scholarship awardees are:
- Abdul Twaha Mutashobya- United World College East Africa, Tanzania
- Anne Awuor Otieno Okech- Aga Khan Academy Nairobi, Kenya
- Boma Nde Mercy Matie- Enko La Gaieté International School Yaounde, Cameroon
- Bukenya Vicent- Acorns International School, Uganda
- Chidiebere Obi- Machabeng College International School of Lesotho, Lesotho
- Dan Munjaru- Shanzu Teachers Training College, Kenya
- Emmanuel Adekunle Adedeji- The International School of IITA, Nigeria
- Evans Kimani- Acorns International School, Uganda
- Felix Owiredu Danso- Tema International School, Ghana
- Haggai Timoteo Ombati- Aga Khan Academy Nairobi, Kenya
- Jack Bonfas Otieno- Aga Khan Academy Nairobi, Kenya
- Jerry Owiredu Darko- Tema International School, Ghana
- Mumeleuh Amos Asonmbomwih- Enko La Gaieté International School Yaounde, Cameroon
- Munoh Adeline Ajeck- Enko Bonanjo International School, Cameroon
- Ngum Sylvia Chemuanguh Ebune- Enko La Gaieté International School Yaounde, Cameroon
- Olalekan Adeeko- Baptist Boys' High School, Nigeria
- Olamide Titilayo Adebayo- The International School of IITA, Nigeria
- Oliver Baya Wanje- Aga Khan Academy Mombasa, Kenya
- Silvanos Mapako- Enko Sekeleka International School, Mozamboque
- Walanyo Dzifa Brown- Substitute teacher, Ghana
Congratulations and the very best of luck to our Fall 2019 scholarship recipients!
The IB will be reopening the scholarship application for Spring of 2020 on 6 January. You can find more information here.