Students celebrate Middle Years Programme eAssessment results across the world
More than 77,800 Middle Years Programme (MYP) students from around the world are receiving their eAssessment results from the May 2019 examination session today.
This represents an 8% increase compared with last year. 819 schools in 98 countries participated, and students received an average score of 36.54 points (of 56 possible maximum).
Regulated by Ofqual in the UK, the MYP eAssessment (on-screen assessments and ePortfolios) aims to challenge students to think critically and independently while solving real-world problems using a broad range of knowledge. 75% of the assessment focusses on inquiry, communication and critical thinking skills, while the other 25% focusses on knowledge and understanding. MYP eAssessments utilise media-rich on-screen examinations that enable creative responses, or responses that require students to manipulate data and present new understandings using much more dynamic methods than on paper.
Having only been introduced in 2016, the MYP eAssessment has received several accolades including; Best Use of Summative Assessment at the e-Assessment Awards, Best Assessment Solution award at the ScooNews Global Education Awards and is a finalist for this year’s PIEoneer Awards that are taking place in September.
Paula Wilcock, IB’s Chief Assessment Officer, said: “I want to wish all the students receiving their MYP results my warmest congratulations. We will continue to develop assessments that measure the skills that universities and employers tell us they need to see, and that give our students the best and most relevant assessment experience. Whilst we are proud of the awards we have received, seeing the numbers of students experiencing our eAssessments grow is the greatest accolade we can receive, and I’d like to thank all our examiners who help us to deliver results to growing number of students”.