Students worldwide receive IB results


Last updated:

Over 19,716 receive their Diploma Programme (DP) and Career-related Programme (CP) results today.

Today, during an unprecedented year for education due to the global impact of COVID-19, more than 19,716 Diploma Programme (DP) and Career-related Programme (CP) students around the world will receive their results from the November 2020 examination session. This marks a 2.49% increase in the number of students receiving DP and CP results.

They join a community of more than 1.95 million lifelong learners in 152 countries around the world. The average diploma score for the November 2020 session is 29.81 points (of 45 possible maximum).

“In this tumultuous year for our students, I am extremely proud for all our new Diploma Programme and Career-related Programme graduates”, said Dr Siva Kumari, Director General of the International Baccalaureate.  

“We are deeply grateful to educators, who have supported our students as they reach this milestone in their learner journey. We thank our global community of IB World Schools for their resilience, creativity and unwavering support of their students”. 

As an international organization, of utmost importance is to provide its global community with options that have student and educator wellbeing at the forefront. Due to prolonged COVID-19 uncertainties, the IB worked to ensure that all students registered for the Diploma Programme (DP)/Career-related Programme (CP) November examination session had a path forward to earn the Diploma or the Career-related certificate. The IB provided schools with a choice of options for their students; including awarding grades using written examinations if they could be sat safely and an alternative route using coursework and predicted grades. Schools could also consider deferring to the May 2021 session with no additional cost or withdrawing from the IB November session with full refund from the IB. 

In a formal request to all IB World Schools respecting their ability to administer examinations, taking into consideration local or national government mandates, it was indicated: 1) Most of IB World Schools (73%) were able to administer the exams using local guidelines for safe exam administration; and 2) The remaining of IB World Schools (27%) were not able to administer the exams as a result of governmental mandate or local conditions.

In addition, the IB created dedicated teams that regularly and actively engaged with schools to ensure they receive ongoing updates and information to support educators, students and the wider IB World School community. 

The IB ensured that student grades are fair, valid and comparable irrespective of whether their school was able to run examinations or not.  

During grade-awarding, appropriate grade boundaries were set for each route, to account for global disruptions in learning and teaching and other unusual circumstances that might have affected performance. The IB looked very carefully alongside the team of experienced external examiners to consider the grade boundaries.  Students facing adverse circumstances over and above the pandemic have been supported on a case by case basis by a suite of mitigation measures.  

The IB is immensely proud and grateful to the whole IB community for their drive, passion and commitment to learning in these uncertain times. The resilience, dedication and hard work for the benefit of IB students has been a source of inspiration. 

For students: Accessing your results

If the course coordinator allows them to do so, students can access their own results via the IB’s candidate results website. They will be able to do so one day after results are issued: on 6 July for the May session and 2 January 2021 from 12:00 GMT (noon) for the November session.