Requesting and sending transcripts

Last updated:

The IB provides an official transcript of grades for the Diploma Programme (DP) and Career-related Programme (CP) to universities. These documents are not sent to students or other organizations.

How to request transcripts

Before the release of results

Students requesting before 5 July (for May examination sessions) or 16 December (for November examination sessions), should contact their DP or CP coordinator to submit a request to the IB on their behalf.

Students can select up to six universities worldwide. Out of these six universities, no more than three universities can be selected from Canada and one university from the USA. An admissions centre, for example, Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS), counts as one request. A fee will be charged for each additional request that is submitted regardless of whether any previous requests have been made for that student.

After the release of results

When results are released, they will be made available to institutes via an IB secure website, or on a paper transcript if the institute does not make use of the IB secure website.

IB graduates can request that transcripts be sent to institutions directly by placing a request through

In addition to requesting a transcript be sent to universities, you may have to request that your results and/or certificate be legalized. Read more about legalization

How much does it cost for my transcripts to be sent?

The first six requests received before the release of results will be accepted without charge.

All requests made after 5 July (for May examination sessions) or 16 December (for November examination sessions), IB graduates will have to submit their request through and will include a processing fee of $17 USD for each transcript requested. In addition, for candidates of the current session, any requests beyond the initial six or for additional institutions from Canada or the USA (regardless of date requested) will also need to make their request through

Please note that the IB does not accept cash, postal orders or American Express. If your payment is not accepted, please contact your card provider to authorize the international transaction.

How and when do universities receive transcripts?

If an institution has opted to receive IB transcripts via a secure IB website, they will receive it as soon as results are released (or for graduates, as soon as the IB has processed their order). Otherwise, they will be mailed a paper transcript.

Please note that due to the volume of requests received during the peak months of December and January and July through September, transcript requests may take longer to process. The IB is not responsible for delays in the postal service or in processing transcripts at universities. This process may take up to 14 working days.

It is the institution that decides on the following:

  1. The format in which it receives an IB transcript (electronic or paper format).
  2. The receiving address for the transcript. This is usually a general/centralized admissions office.

If a student or alumni needs to check if a university has received their transcript, they should check with the university admissions office first. If they are unable to locate it there, then the student or alumni should contact IB Answers. When contacting us, students/alumni should include their name, the school where they obtained their diploma, the university that they are applying to, and the date that they requested their results to help us process their request faster.

Important tips for students submitting transcripts

Tip 1: It is best to check the university’s admission policy before placing a transcript request. Some universities will only accept undergraduate applications through a centralized admission centre. For example, candidates applying to Oxford University in the UK are required to complete an online UCAS application form. When submitting a transcript request for UCAS, if you have your 10-digit application number you can include it in the transcript request form (under Notes if request is done via

Tip 2: If your transcript was sent electronically and the university informs you that they are unable to access your record, please ensure that you have provided them with the correct information (spelling of your name, date of birth and session).

Tip 3: Under no circumstances should candidates reveal their PIN to universities or admission centres.

Read some of the most common questions asked about requesting and sending transcripts to institutes of higher education below.

General FAQs

What appears on the official IB transcript of grades?

The IB transcript of grades will display the candidate’s full name, date of birth, the name of the school attended, the subjects which the candidate was registered for and the grades achieved for each subject. For Diploma and Retake category candidates, the total points achieved, and the overall Diploma result will also be displayed.

Can a transcript be sent by email/fax to a university or specific email address/fax number?

IB transcript of grades are sent to universities in the format which the university has requested. This may be in paper format by mail or electronic format via our secure website. Most universities will not accept emailed or faxed transcripts as official documents.

Can a transcript be sent by email to graduates?

No, the IB does not provide official transcripts to graduates. However, all graduates will receive a copy of their certificate and results at the end of the exam session. These documents will be sent to the schools directly for them to distribute to their students or can be viewed by students through the IB’s candidate results website.

If a candidate’s marks have changed because of a re-mark request, does a new transcript need to be requested to be sent to the university?

If the grades have changed after the transcript has been received by the university, the IB will send them an updated one free of charge.

If the university has opted to receive transcripts electronically, they will be automatically sent an email confirming changes to the transcript and they can download the updated results by logging into our secure website. If the university has opted to receive transcripts in paper format, the IB will print an updated transcript of results and send it to the university free of charge.

Can a lost or damaged diploma or certificate be replaced?

If it has been lost or destroyed, students can request a replacement diploma or certificate. To submit a request using a debit or credit card please complete the online request for results service form.

The process takes up to 28 days. You will need proof of identity, including your name and date of birth.