IB recognition resource library
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) strives to provide easily accessible, accurate and updated information on IB recognition for all of our stakeholders.
Browse our collection of the most frequently requested resources in the following categories:
Middle Years Programme
Subject Briefs: COVID-19 Adaptations for May 2021 and November 2021
As a result of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic the IB has decided to make appropriate adaptations to May 2021 and November 21 assessments, whilst maintaining the coverage of learning objectives for each subject. Therefore, the tables in each of the Subject Briefs below which state the Marks, Weightings and Examination Lengths for a normal session will not apply for these two upcoming exam sessions. We have therefore created this reference document, covering all subjects, which summarises:
- adjustments made to examination times for components that have been adapted for May and November 2021
- modified marks and weightings, where appropriate and applicable, for components adapted for May and November 2021.
To ensure the continued quality of subject-specific and programme-wide student outcomes, all weightings have been carefully evaluated to ensure equity and reliability for grade award.
Where there have been no adaptations in a subject, the established guide marks and weightings have not been changed. For subjects that do have adaptations for M21/N21, these principles have guided the determination of weightings:
- They are proportional to the M21/N21 adaptations within each subject.
- The necessary balance between externally and internally-assessed components, including both examinations and coursework components, has been accounted for.
- Differentiation between SL and HL, where appropriate, has been maintained.
Language and literature
Individuals and societies
Nisarg J Shah
IB regional offices:
For additional assistance: