The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) is an assessed programme for students aged 16 to 19. It is respected by leading universities across the globe.
Find out how to become an IB World School, in order to implement the DP, and read about the benefits and objectives of the DP curriculum below.
What the DP offers students
Through the DP, schools are able to develop students who:
- have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge
- flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
- study at least two languages
- excel in traditional academic subjects
- explore the nature of knowledge through the programme’s unique theory of knowledge course.
Why offer the DP?
International research shows that there are many benefits to choosing the DP over other 16-19 curriculums. For example:
- DP students enrol, persist and graduate at higher rates than the national average in a study about postsecondary outcomes of DP graduates in the United States.
- IB students studying at higher education institutions in the United Kingdom have greater odds of achieving positive higher education outcomes than their A-level peers, according to a study comparing student performance
- On average, DP alumni reported higher capacities for a variety of 21st-century skills compared to their non-DP counterparts according to a study in Asia-Pacific.
Becoming an IB World School
If you’re interested in becoming an IB World School, you can find out more about how the IB can benefit your school, and how the application process works.
Linking the DP to other IB programmes
The DP is preceded by the IB’s Primary Years Programme (PYP) and Middle Years Programme (MYP). The three programmes are philosophically aligned, each centred on developing attributes of the IB learner profile. The programmes are consistent in their pedagogical approach.
Students who have taken the PYP and MYP will therefore be well prepared for the challenges of the DP. Find out more about the IB’s other education programmes.
Hear from our DP community
What is an IB education?
This document explains the ideals that underpin all IB programmes, communicating what lies at the heart of an IB education.