The IB has partnered with the University of the People (UoPeople) to award scholarships for educators around the globe to earn a Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree.
These scholarships represent a collaborative effort and commitment to address the global shortage of quality educators worldwide, which in turn guarantees access to quality education for more students.
We are proud to support inspiring educators and help them reach the next stage in their careers, especially those who demonstrate a strong commitment to their own local communities, to lifelong learning and the IB pedagogy.
Who should apply?
The IB UoPeople Scholarship aims to support new or developing educators who have never received a master’s degree in any field and do not have access to affordable teacher education. Our scholarship recipients will receive funding for all 13 courses assessment fees and the application fee required by UoPeople to complete the M.Ed. degree.
The Spring 2023 application will open on 11 January and close on 17 March. Applicants will be notified of their results by 18 April 2023. Awardees will be able to access their funds starting in June 2023 (Term 5 at University of the People).
To be eligible for the IB UoPeople scholarship, students must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree and be fluent in English.
- Applicants cannot already hold a master’s degree in any subject area.
- All application materials must be in English, including resumes and professional letters of recommendation.
- Submissions without all application materials by the application deadline will not be considered. This includes video interviews and letters of recommendation.
- Applicants must have some teaching experience, demonstrate a commitment to education, the IB pedagogy and their local community.
- Prospective students must provide proof of admission within 60 days of being awarded the scholarship. Enrolled students must be in good academic and financial standing with University of the People.
- International Baccalaureate and University of the People employees and their immediate families including spouse, parents, children, siblings and their respective spouses, are not eligible to apply.
- By submitting a scholarship application, you consent to be contacted by the IB about the scholarship application.
- Applicants must agree to all award terms and conditions prior to receiving any funding from the IB.
What you’ll need before starting your application
- Account on Submittable with your name and email address
- Your updated resume
- A 3-min video recording. Please see more instructions on how to make this video
- Professional letter of recommendation
Please see frequently asked questions below. For further questions about scholarships, please email us.
For further questions about the M.Ed. programme, please click here.
Frequently asked questions
I have already started my M.Ed. at UoPeople. Can I still apply?
Yes, current UoPeople students are welcome to apply, however, we cannot reimburse selected students for any fees previously paid to UoPeople.
Where can I access the interview questions?
The interview questions are listed within the application form.
I have a master’s degree in a field other than education. Can I still apply?
Unfortunately, not. The scholarship is only for first time master’s degree students from any field.
I do not have an undergraduate degree. Can I still apply?
Unfortunately, not. A bachelor’s degree is a requirement to be admitted to any master’s degree programme.
What is required for the letter of recommendation?
Letters of recommendation should be from a previous or current supervisor and should be signed and include the contact information of the recommender. Letters should be submitted directly from the author to the application portal or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will not accept word documents submitted directly from the applicant.
What is the University of the People (UoPeople)?
UoPeople is a tuition-free, non-profit, fully online American university offering accredited undergraduate and postgraduate degree options to students in 194 countries.
Programmes are developed using volunteer curriculum developers and instructors.
What is the UoPeople Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree?
The tuition-free online Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree is available to applicants worldwide. Successful students will receive a Master of Education in Advanced Teaching with specializations at two levels: the primary and middle school level, and the secondary school level. Both specializations share nine core courses and one capstone course, but each have two of their own specialized core courses as well as one elective. Students are required to complete 13 courses, which includes core courses and electives. In addition, students also complete a capstone project—or complete a six-credit internship at an IB World School—and a final applied research project.
What role does the IB play in the M.Ed. degree and why?
The IB is providing a funding contribution to support the development and launch of the M.Ed. degree opportunity and will work with IB World Schools to facilitate internships and raise awareness of the degree. UoPeople believes that access to education plays a key role in strengthening fundamental freedoms, as well as promoting world peace and global economic development. The M.Ed. will help address the worldwide shortage in high-quality teachers.
What are the criteria for acceptance to pursue the M.Ed. degree?
Applicants from any undergraduate major or employment field—with a bachelor’s degree and the required level of English language proficiency—are considered for admission. Students must first complete at least three M.Ed. core courses as a non-degree seeking student (NDSS) and earn a grade of 2.67 or higher in each course in order to be accepted.
Is the M.Ed. degree accredited and internationally recognized?
UoPeople is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission, which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as an accrediting agency. The M.Ed. degree has received accreditation in the U.S. and does not award a teaching certification.
How long does the degree take to complete?
The course list can be found in the University Catalog, or on the website.
Sign up to receive updates about IB UoPeople M.Ed. scholarships