MYP Building Quality Curriculum (MYP BQC) provides guidance and feedback on MYP unit plans, supporting continuous improvement of written, taught and assessed curriculum.
This service provides feedback by expert curriculum reviewers, based on foundational programme documents: Evaluating MYP unit plans (2016) and Evaluating MYP interdisciplinary unit plans (2016).
Participation in MYP BQC as a requirement prior to programme evaluation
MYP schools may fulfil their programme evaluation requirement by choosing one of the following options:
- Registering at least one candidate for the MYP certificate through MYP eAssessment
- Participation in MYP Building Quality Curriculum. MYP partnerships complete one submission per programme, not per school.
Participation in BQC as part of programme evaluation involves submission of two unit plans from each subject group taught in your programme along with two interdisciplinary unit plans. Typically, schools submit 18 unit plans for review. In addition, at least one-unit plan from each year of the MYP taught in your programme must be submitted for review.
Participation in MYP BQC as an optional service
MYP BQC is available as an optional service to support teaching, learning and ongoing school improvement. When BQC is not part of programme evaluation, schools may register for any session. Fees, session schedules and dates remain the same as for the required service.
Schools can submit units from as many or as few subject groups as they wish and there is no requirement to submit units from each year of the programme. Please note that registration fees are charged per two unit plans and this cannot be changed, it is therefore recommended that schools submit an even number of unit plans.
General requirements for participation in MYP BQC
These requirements apply to schools submitting units as part of programme evaluation and to schools that choose to use BQC as an optional service
- Schools should submit unit plans previously taught in the school, so that all elements of the plan have been completed, including the reflection section. However, when a new guide has recently been published, schools may submit unit plans developed according to the new guide even if the unit has not yet been taught.
- Schools must submit self-evaluations for each unit plan, using the summary section of Evaluating MYP unit plans (2016) or Evaluating MYP interdisciplinary unit plans (2016).
- Interdisciplinary units can now integrate disciplines from the same subject group.
Unit plans and the self-evaluations can only be submitted in IBs three official working languages (English, French and Spanish). The entire unit must be written in one language.
Select a session
Three sessions of MYP BQC are offered each year.
|Session||Registration opens||Registration closes||Schools may begin submitting unit plans and self-evaluations||Deadline to submit unit plans and self- evaluations||Schools receive feedback reports||Clarification period concludes||Self-study submission deadline|
|Session 1||5 Oct||6 Dec||5 Jan||25 Feb||25 Apr||25 May||On or after 1 June|
|Session 2||5 Feb||5 Apr||5 May||25 Jun||25 Aug||25 Sep||On or after 1 October|
|Session 3||5 Jun||5 Aug||5 Sep||25 Oct||5 Jan||5 Feb||On or after 1 March|
Schools will receive an email with further instructions once registration closes.
Registration is prioritized for participation by schools with the most pressing evaluation timelines.
Sessions close when capacity is reached. Click the register button below to sign-up for a session.
Please select a session that allows you adequate time to receive your feedback prior to submission of your preliminary review documentation.
Important note: Reports received from MYP BQC are valid documentation within 24 months of your self-study submission.
Registration and fees
Register for MYP BQC on IBIS. If you have questions about how to proceed, please contact us. After you register, you will receive detailed instructions about the submissions process.
- 2021 registration fees: USD $252 per two-unit plans
- Full submission: USD $2,268, includes submission of two unit plans per each of eight subject groups, plus two interdisciplinary units; 18 submissions in total
Note about the service
BQC is a service to support teaching and learning in MYP schools. BQC reviewers provide schools with feedback on their written curriculum and provide general recommendations. BQC feedback reports will share guidance for further development of the unit planning process, but will not provide specific examples or exemplars. Please visit the Programme resource centre for examples of unit plans and guidance on the unit planning process. The Programme resource centre is also where you will find videos to support the unit planning process and example unit plans within each subject group’s Teacher support materials section.