Arendal is a coastal town of 40,000 inhabitants in Southern Norway. The region offers both exciting job opportunities and a good life quality. Outdoors enthusiasts will find a broad range of activities in the archipelago, forests and mountains; the culturally interested are similarly provided for in the town of festivals.
Arendal videregående skole is the leading year 11-13 school in Arendal. The school has a 200-year tradition within university preparatory education, currently enrols about 1,000 students and has a staff of about 100 teachers. The school aspires to provide a high-quality, inspirational and international learning environment.
Arendal videregående skole has been authorized to offer the IB Diploma Programme since 2007. So far, four cohorts of students have graduated with results above the global average. We are a small programme of about 40 students, but have a positive atmosphere of challenge, support and growth.
With the current DP Coordinator moving on to work for the IB Organization after our first 5-year evaluation, we are now looking for a new DP Coordinator to lead the school’s IB work further. The position is an extremely important one to us as a school, as the Diploma Programme is one key way for Arendal videregående skole to foster an academic, international learning environment.
We value the following characteristics in the applicants:
- Belief in and embodiment of IB philosophy and an ability to bring it alive in others
- Successful experience of DP Coordination / other relevant school leadership tasks
- A strong track record as a DP teacher
- Love of students, learning and of being in the classroom
- Ability to lead a team of highly qualified, independently-minded professionals in a common direction
- Good organizational skills and necessary attention to detail
- Willingness and ability to contribute to wider school development work at Arendal videregående skole
- Willingness to become fluent in Norwegian
The DP Coordinator position has a 40-50% time allocation and is to be combined with teaching in the programme.
Applicants should send their electronic application to the school’s office address at
email@example.com by July 23, 2012. Please title your application 'DP Coordinator' and include the following documentation:
- Cover letter indicating relevant experience, skills, qualities and motivation for application, as well as DP subjects taught
Candidates who come further in the process are requested to initially attend a skype interview with a video facility. We will also request the contact details of two confidential referees. Candidates making it to the final selection will be invited to an interview in Arendal.
A competitive salary and other benefits will be defined as for our staff otherwise. Contract length is initially 2 years. Ideal start date is at school start (August 13) but this can be individually negotiated.
For more information about the positions available, the school and the town, please take contact with DP Coordinator Liina Bårdsen (+47 47 45 29 47; firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit the school’s home page (www.arendal.vgs.no).
Arendal also has an international school offering the IB Primary Years and Middle Years Programs (www.aischool.no).