Jeff Thompson Research Award
The IB would like to congratulate our latest winners:
Samantha Cook, International School of Tanganyika, Tanzania
- An analysis of the factors identified by IB PYP teachers that influence their development as PYP educators
Michael Lynch, Bladins International School of Malmö, Sweden
- Evaluation of an IB informed prevention approach to bullying with MYP students: Using a mixed methods approach incorporating a quasi-experimental design within a Swedish IB school
Stirling Perry, Özel Bilkent Lisesi, Turkey
- CAS programs in Turkey: An implementation study of six IB schools in Turkey
All current and completed studies can be found on our winners’ studies page.
This award seeks to honour Professor Jeff Thompson's efforts to establish the research profile of the International Baccalaureate® (IB) by providing practitioners within IB World Schools with small incentive awards in recognition of their efforts to conduct research related to IB programmes. In addition to increased research activity within the organization, the IB is dedicated to encouraging and supporting independent school-based research to better inform the IB community.
All application material can be accessed through the links on the right. Please review all material in advance of completing your application. Award applications are available in English, French or Spanish. Applicants must submit the provided application form, along with any other supporting material, electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, and will receive confirmation of receipt of the application by email. Please fill out the fields directly in the PDF application form provided.
Individual awards may be granted up to a maximum of $5,000 each. Award funds may only be used for expenses directly related to the conducting of research outlined in the proposal, and cannot be used towards university tuition or fees or to supplement income while conducting research. Successful applicants will also have the registration fee of one Annual Regional Conference waived, so they may present their work to the IB community in their region.
Applicants must be employed in an IB World School. Applications should be submitted by a single principal investigator, but any number of co-investigators may be named. No full or part-time employees of the IB are eligible for this award. The award scheme is intended strictly as a means to provide incentive funding and in no way constitutes full funding of a research project.
Selection and award process
Applications received at email@example.com will be reviewed by IB's Jeff Thompson Research Award Committee twice a year. Preference will be given to research which is relevant and important to the IB community, such as, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Enhancement of IB programmes
- Contribution to studies in international education
- Impact of programme implementation on school improvement
- Impact of IB programme study on academic success, acquisition of international mindedness and the attributes of the learner profile
- Contribution to the development of the local school and practitioner research
The rating criteria for the application itself will include, but not be limited to, the following.
- Feasibility of the application
- Clear and realistic specification of outcomes and deliverables
- Use of appropriate methodology
- Access to and capacity to process data and analyze results
- Appropriate use of funds
- Ability to disseminate findings to a variety of audiences.
- Ethical considerations
- Clear support from the head of school
Support from the IB
A successful application will be given recognized status, such that information pertaining to the activity will be placed on the IB research web pages and included in other relevant IB communications. Successful applicants can expect the following support from the IB:
- Advice on the application procedure
- Advice on methods to be used and methodological approach
- Advice on proper use of IB intellectual property rights
- Access to IB research documents and statistics, including other IB research reports as appropriate to their need
- Access and assistance with uploading information to the IERD
- Advice on publication
- Communication of results throughout the IB and IB World Schools
Communication and reporting expectations
As a condition of the award, all recipients are expected to provide a detailed report of the results of their projects, as well as an executive summary. Current in-progress and completed studies can be found on the winners’ studies page.
Questions about the application process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ethical standards for IB supported research projects (link to PDF)
31 March 2014
All applications to be sent to: email@example.com
Contact IB Research
7501 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 200 West
Bethesda, Maryland 20814
Quick links to research studies
Quick links to research resources
Searchable, collectively populated bibliography of research about the IB or international education.