The IB educator certificates
Developing leaders in international education
The IB offers two distinct certification experiences in teaching and learning:
• The IB certificate in teaching and learning offers students the opportunity to examine the principles and practices associated with one of three IB programmes (Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma Programmes). The courses that lead to this certificate shape pre-service, new and experienced educators into reflective practitioners and teacher researchers.
• The IB advanced certificate in teaching and learning research offers students the opportunity to supplement their existing IB experience with rigorous, systematic investigative work to further their knowledge and experience. Participants delve deeper into curriculum development, pedagogy and assessment through exploring relevant literature and their own IB practices.
You can gain either of the two IB educator certificates by completing a recognized undergraduate or graduate course of study. It is also possible for experienced IB teachers to gain eligibility for the IB educator certificate in teaching and learning by compiling a professional portfolio incorporating some critical self-reflection. To stay informed about our ever-expanding network of institutions, check the news section for regular updates or sign up for our newsletter by emailing email@example.com.
The IB is collaborating with an increasing number of prestigious universities around the world to offer the IB educator certificates. Currently, the following universities and institutions offer IB-recognized courses of study.
Africa, Europe, Middle East
- Durham University (Durham, UK)
- The University of Dundee (Scotland, UK)
- The University of Sussex (Brighton, UK)
- The University of Bath (Bath, UK)
- The University of Bremen (Bremen, Germany)
- European Council of International Schools (portfolio pathway)
- Bilkent University (Ankara, Turkey)
- Universidad Camilo José Cela (Madrid, Spain)
- Institute of Education, University of London (UK)
- Bethel University (Minnesota, USA)
- California State University, San Marcos (California, USA)
- George Mason University (Virginia, USA)
- Kent State University (Ohio, USA)
- Oakland University (Michigan, USA)
- Royal Roads University (Victoria, British Columbia)
- Curtin University of Technology (Perth, Australia)
- Flinders University (Adelaide, Australia)
- Murdoch University (Perth, Australia)
- The University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
- The University of Melbourne (Victoria, Australia)
Universities interested in finding out more about this initiative can contact the IB's teacher education services department for further information.
IB welcomes Royal Roads University to IB educator certificate network
The IB has unconditionally recognised the following courses of study at Royal Roads University as meeting the academic requirements of the specified IB educator certificate:
- Master of Arts Learning and Technology (IB advanced certificate in teaching and learning)
- Master of Arts Educational Leadership and Management (IB Certificate in leadership practice and IB advanced certificate in leadership research)
Students beginning their studies in July 2013 in either the MA in Educational Leadership and Management (MAELM) program, or the MA in Learning and Technology (MALAT) program, will be qualified to apply for one of the IB certificates upon graduation.
MAELM students can choose one of two new educational certificates: the IB Certificate in Leadership Practice or the IB Advanced Certificate in Leadership Research.
“Leadership courses are a natural fit for Royal Roads,” said Steve Grundy, vice president, academic and provost of Royal Roads University. “The IB philosophy of active study also aligns with our emphasis on applied learning.”
IB educators need to experience lifelong learning. “(RRU’s) course of study does just that by developing educators’ deep understanding of school improvement concepts and research,” said Anthony Tait, director of global professional development for the IB. “In addition, the unique blended learning model the course offers is sure to enrich the learning experience for participants.”
As well as offering the leadership certificates with the IB, Royal Roads will offer its MALAT students the IB advanced certificate in teaching and learning research, which is most appropriate for existing and experienced IB school educators.