The IB educator certificates
Developing leaders in international education
The IB offers two distinct certification experiences in teaching and learning:
• The IB certificate in teaching and learning offers students the opportunity to examine the principles and practices associated with one of three IB programmes (Primary Years, Middle Years and Diploma Programmes). The courses that lead to this certificate shape pre-service, new and experienced educators into reflective practitioners and teacher researchers.
• The IB advanced certificate in teaching and learning research offers students the opportunity to supplement their existing IB experience with rigorous, systematic investigative work to further their knowledge and experience. Participants delve deeper into curriculum development, pedagogy and assessment through exploring relevant literature and their own IB practices.
You can gain either of the two IB educator certificates by completing a recognized undergraduate or graduate course of study. It is also possible for experienced IB teachers to gain eligibility for the IB educator certificate in teaching and learning by compiling a professional portfolio incorporating some critical self-reflection. To stay informed about our ever-expanding network of institutions, check the news section for regular updates or sign up for our newsletter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The IB is collaborating with an increasing number of prestigious universities around the world to offer the IB educator certificates. Currently, the following universities and institutions offer IB-recognized courses of study.
Africa, Europe, Middle East
- Durham University (Durham, UK)
- The University of Dundee (Scotland, UK)
- The University of Sussex (Brighton, UK)
- The University of Bath (Bath, UK)
- The University of Bremen (Bremen, Germany)
- European Council of International Schools (portfolio pathway)
- Bilkent University (Ankara, Turkey)
- Universidad Camilo José Cela (Madrid, Spain)
- Institute of Education, University of London (UK)
- Bethel University (Minnesota, USA)
- California State University, San Marcos (California, USA)
- George Mason University (Virginia, USA)
- Kent State University (Ohio, USA)
- Oakland University (Michigan, USA)
- Royal Roads University (Victoria, British Columbia)
- Curtin University of Technology (Perth, Australia)
- Flinders University (Adelaide, Australia)
- Murdoch University (Perth, Australia)
- The University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
- The University of Melbourne (Victoria, Australia)
Universities interested in finding out more about this initiative can contact the IB's teacher education services department for further information.
University of Bremen approved for new IB recognized course
The IB is pleased to announce that the University of Bremen (Germany) may now offer the IB advanced certificate in teaching and learning research. During a visit to the University of Bremen campus, the IB recognition team analyzed the proposed course of study and how it aligns with the IB standards and practices.
The recognition team approved the Master of Arts in International Mathematics Education and agreed that the course of study is unconditionally recognized as meeting the academic requirements of the specified IB educator certificate.
The recognition team commended the university for the value it places on the perspectives and experiences of students from different cultural backgrounds in informing course content and for providing ways in which students can compare and contrast diverse approaches to mathematics education.
The team was also quite impressed with the commitment on the part of the leadership and faculty of the University to offer a course of study aligned with the IB requirements and their openness to explore possibilities for further alignment with the requirements.
The IB looks forward to a long and productive relationship with the University of Bremen.