Middle Years Programme curriculum
Mathematics in the Middle Years Programme aims to provide students with an appreciation of the usefulness, power and beauty of the subject.
One aspect of this is the awareness that mathematics is a universal language with diverse applications. The Middle Years Programme promotes an understanding of how cultural, societal and historical influences from a variety of cultures have shaped mathematical thought.
Schools are required to develop schemes of work according to a framework that includes five branches of mathematics:
- geometry and trigonometry
- statistics and probability
- discrete mathematics.
Aims and objectives include:
- understanding mathematical reasoning and processes
- the ability to apply mathematics and to evaluate the significance of results
- the ability to develop strategies for problems in which solutions are not obvious
- the acquisition of mathematical intuition.