Global Workshop Architecture
What is a Category 1 Workshop?
Category 1 workshops provide professional development and assistance for schools that have decided to apply for IB authorization. They are equally relevant for educators who are new to a school with an existing IB programme and those interested in joining an IB school.
Goals and Objectives of Every Category 1 Workshop
Goal : Introduce the IB to educators new to the programm.
• Participants will gain an understanding of the basic philosophy and curricular model of the programme, including:
- Mission statement
- Learner profile
- Curriculum documents
• Participants will gain an understanding of programme standards and practices. The standards and practices will be introduced and discussed appropriate to the participants’ role (e.g. teacher, administrator, head of school, etc.)
• Participants will gain an understanding of the appropriate programme framework, fully discussing the elements of the following:
- PYP Framework
- MYP Octagon
- DP Hexagon
Goal : Prepare educators to implement the IB programme successfully
• Participants will gain an understanding of the application authorization and implementation processes, including:
- Timeline of the application, process (including deadlines)
- Professional development requirements
- Structure of the site visit
- Role of the consultant
- Applications A and B
What is a Category 2 Workshop?
Category 2 workshops provide a forum for experienced IB educators, focusing on programme delivery. There is an emphasis on assessment, teaching and learning methodologies, and exploring best practice in the classroom.
Goals and Objectives of Every Category 2 Workshop
Goal : Enhance the understanding of the IB philosophy and programme model
• Participants will make connections between the programme framework and practice
• Participants will enhance their understanding of the role of assessment in IB programmes
• Participants will discuss and analyze standards and practices appropriate to their role
Goal : Improve the quality of programme delivery
• Participants will engage in discussion and activities aimed at sharing pedagogical techniques such as:
- Best practice in the classroom
- Teaching and learning methodologies
- Finding, sharing, developing and using resources
What is a Category 3 Workshop?
The overall purpose of workshops in this category is to provide a forum for experienced educators to build on and enhance their professional development portfolios. Participants will engage in in-depth investigation into specific areas of interest and expertise.
Goals and Objectives of Every Category 3 Workshop
Goal : Provide a forum for exploring educational ideas and areas of interest
• Participants will engage in detailed discussion around topics such as learning theory, pedagogy, assessment, and other scholarly interests
Goal : Provide opportunities for investigation into specific areas of expertise
• Participants will engage in detailed discussion around topics such as subject-specific seminars (i.e., changes to the IB curriculum), subject-specific content, administrative leadership, and pedagogical leadership