Open World School pilot
The Open World Schools pilot project from the International Baccalaureate® (IB) is exploring how an authentic IB Diploma Programme experience can be extended to students who would otherwise be unable to access an IB education.
By digitally linking with an IB World School, students have the opportunity to undertake a two–year DP course online that meets the challenging academic standards and rigorous assessment for which the IB is renowned. Students collaborate worldwide with their peers while developing essential skills and expanding their global perspectives in a secure, teacher- facilitated environment.
Opening doors and minds
The IB Open World Schools pilot marks an exciting new phase for IB World Schools to broaden access to quality education. While it is not possible to complete the full IB Diploma Programme online; students aged 16-19 who are not currently enrolled at an IB World School now have the opportunity to experience the IB by enrolling in DP courses online.
- Students undertake a two-year DP course online that adheres to the same rigorous standards as IB face to face courses.
- Students attend weekly online classes via computer during their normal school day.
- All online courses are taught by experienced IB teachers, who are specially trained in online pedagogy.
- Students are encouraged to take part in greater IB activities, such as community service and IB student conferences.
- At the end of the course, students take the written examination offline at an approved IB World School.
For more information on the Open World Schools pilot contact: email@example.com