Diploma Programme curriculum
Group 1: studies in language and literature
It is a requirement of the programme that students study at least one subject from group 1.
In group 1, students will study literature, including selections of literature in translation, and may choose to combine this with language or performance studies, depending on their choice of course. Students will choose to study their group 1 subject(s) in a language in which they are academically competent.
In studying the group 1 courses, students are able to develop:
- a personal appreciation of language and literature
- skills in literary criticism
- an understanding of the formal, stylistic and aesthetic qualities of texts
- strong powers of expression, both written and oral
- an appreciation of cultural differences in perspective
The range of texts studied in language A courses is broad, and students grow to appreciate a language’s complexity, wealth and subtleties in a variety of contexts. A specific aim is to engender a lifelong interest in literature and a love for the elegance and richness of human expression.
Group 1 consists of three courses:
- Language A: literature - always available with a prescribed list of authors in 55 languages and available by special request in all other languages provided there is sufficient written literature available.
- Language A: language and literature – available in 16 languages.
- Literature and performance (an interdisciplinary subject) – always available in English, and available by special request in Spanish and French.