Diploma Programme—school authorization
Schools wishing to offer the Diploma Programme must be authorized by the IB. The process is the same for all schools, even though it is administered slightly differently in each IB region.
To become eligible for authorization, schools must fill in an Interested schools form and successfully complete a number of stages. These include the three key stages described below.
1. Feasibility study and identification of resources
To complete this stage, which leads to the filing of Diploma Programme application form part A, a school should acquaint itself thoroughly with the programme by:
- obtaining the Diploma Programme publications by purchasing them from the IB store. A selection of these documents are available for download from the curriculum web pages.
- examining the programme's philosophy and curriculum to determine whether these meet the needs of its students
- conducting a feasibility study on the possible consequences of implementing the programme
- arranging for teaching and administrative staff to undertake IB-approved professional development.
2. Candidate status
Following acceptance of Diploma Programme application form part A, the school is designated an IB candidate school.
At this stage, the school has access to the OCC, teachers attend IB-approved professional development and the school prepares itself administratively and educationally for the programme.
3. Authorization visit by an IB visiting team
Provided previous stages have been completed successfully, the school files Diploma Programme application form part B and the regional office arranges for the school to be visited by an IB team. The purpose of this visit is to:
- consult those who will be involved in the implementation of the programme
- evaluate the school's preparedness to implement the programme
- complete a report on the school's commitment and ability to deliver the programme.
IB World Schools
The IB director general makes the final decision in granting or denying authorization. Authorized schools acquire the status of IB World School.
Following authorization, schools may receive visits from IB teams at any time, to ensure that the educational standards of the programme are being maintained and developed, as published in Rules for Authorized Schools.
Become an IB World School
To take the next steps in becoming authorized to offer the IB Diploma Programme, please read the relevant documentation.